Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Ear Infections and Antibiotics

Its that time of year, we're spending more time indoors, children are in school, and every kind of bug is being passed around!
I have noticed that along with the flu, another virus is being passed around, and it's causing ear infections. Yep, that's right folks, ear infections (and sinus infections for that matter) are USUALLY caused by a virus!! So although your first thoughts are to run your child into a doctor and demand those antibiotics, just wait a moment. First, lets discuss what an ear infection is EXACTLY.

An ear infection or acute otitis media, as your doctor would put it, is caused by inflammation or fluid build up in the middle ear (behind the eardrum itself) Here is a nice illustration of what it looks like.

You may wonder why your kiddo seems to get more ear infections that you do, well that is because their Eustachian tubes are not tilted down as much as adults, and fluid has a harder time draining, which allows the perfect place for viruses and bacteria to set up shop. Also, you've probably acquired your own army over the years, (including when you were a child) to fight off these pesky viruses and bacteria. 


But wait! You said bacteria!! Doesn't that mean that I can go get a prescription for antibiotics? Well sure, (and its still a big IF it is caused by bacteria), but lets discuss some of the lesser known facts about antibiotics

Antibiotics are often over prescribed for illnesses that are either caused by a virus, or a small bacterial infection that could be taken care of by the body's own immune system. By allowing the body to take care of itself, you are not only strengthening your immune system, but protecting yourself from this bug in the future. Your immune system creates an army specifically for that bug, and can take out that bug right off the bat, next time you come into contact with it. Pretty cool eh?


Taking antibiotics for every "infection" can often lead to reoccurring infections as well as antibiotic resistance. That means, you're helping create a superbug (ever heard of MRSA?) that will not be able to be treated with usual antibiotics like penicillin or amoxicillin. You'll have to upgrade to the big guns, which mean many more side effects or complications like C-Diff... which leads to my next point..



Last, but definitely not least is that antibiotics kill everything in their path. Your body has some really good bacteria that keeps you healthy and even keep you from getting sick (which is why probiotics can be so beneficial to your immune system)  When you take antibiotics, they kill the good bacteria too. If you have a type of bacteria that the antibiotic didnt kill, and it is harmful, that means it could take over your body, and leave you even worse. The most common of these infections is called C. difficile, you can click here to learn more about it.

ALSO.... I am not a homeopathic hippie nut, I use antibiotics, and my son has even taken them as well, I just choose to educate myself on the pros and cons of every medical decision I make, I advise all my readers to do the same, and ask your doctor about absolutely EVERYTHING!!

In my personal experience, I use to get sinus infections regularly. I would go to the doctor, get a prescription for antibiotics and be on my merry way, then about a month or two later,  repeat the same cycle.  I finally got fed up and just rode it out, it took what seemed like forever to get better, but guess what, I HAVEN'T HAD A SINUS INFECTION SINCE!!!!!!!!


SO....back to the ear infections, bottom line is, give it a week and a half. Let your body fight it, and make its tiny little army to protect you next time. Give your kid's immune system a chance to do exactly what it was made to do. It may take a little more patience for that week and a half, but you will be less likely to have to deal with it again in a month or two. If by the end of that time, you decide to take your kid to the doctor, ask them if they think that antibiotics are REALLY necessary, or if it just needs a little more time..

That being said, here is what I do to help the symptoms, and even treat the ear infection

Heat: take a sock, fill it with rice, heat it to luke warm in the microwave. Hold it up to the ear, it will help open up those passages and promote drainage

Massage: Use some lavender, tea tree, and eucalyptus oils and massage starting right behind the ear lobe and trace right below the jaw and down the neck to the collarbone. Be gentle, since this area may be sensitive

Ear Drops: Garlic oil is a wonderful healing agent! (Its been called Russian's penicillin since it was used in WWII when medicine supplies had been depleted) You can buy the stuff online, or in any health food store. Warm it by putting it in your pocket or rolling the bottle between your hands. Put 1-2 drops into the ear canal and seal it with a cotton ball. Not only does it provide pain relief, but helps fight the infection as well.
You can click here to buy some off of Amazon


Pain management: follow appropriate dosages for your child's weight and age, and alternate between motrin and tylenol every 4-6 hours. If your child seems to be managing the pain fairly well, try to only give pain relief at night, and try the other tricks. 

PATIENCE: It is extremely hard watching your baby be in pain, and pull at their ear, and just be overall miserable. But it will get better, the pain will subside, and your kiddo will be healthy and happy again in a few days :)





Please note, that I am not a doctor, and that if an ear infection lasts longer than you feel is necessary or if bleeding or pus is present, please seek your medical practitioner. Not all ear infections are created equally.  


ALSO.... I am not a homeopathic hippie nut, I use antibiotics, and my son has even taken them as well, I just choose to educate myself on the pros and cons of every medical decision I make, I advise all my readers to do the same, and ask your doctor about absolutely EVERYTHING!!

In my personal experience, I use to get sinus infections regularly. I would go to the doctor, get a prescription for antibiotics and be on my merry way, then about a month or two later,  repeat the same cycle.  I finally got fed up and just rode it out, it took what seemed like forever to get better, but guess what, I HAVEN'T HAD A SINUS INFECTION SINCE!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment